Friday, July 16, 2010

To Save a Life

Have you ever seen or heard something that changed your life?

I thought up to this point in my life that I might have before. I’ve heard some amazing sermons, and seen some pretty awesome videos…but nothing like the feeling I have right now.

I really encourage everyone to go see To Save a Life.

It’s a little Indie film put on by a church with an ity bity budget…but an huge goal.

I don’t want to spoil anything about the movie, but I will tell you that it will “Save your Life”.

I realized while I was driving home that there are 1000 different ways to look at this movie. There’s the obvious approach (as you can tell from the previews) that it’s a movie about all the ‘world’ of high school. Drugs, alcohol, suicide, teen pregnancy, kids not fitting in, and it all comes down to the one kid who makes a difference.

I don’t want to go into the movie in any further detail because I want you to go see it!

So I’ll just go off what I’m thinking.

As a Christ follower…shouldn’t we already be changing the world? It shouldn’t take a movie to light the fire…but it has.

I’m not sure exactly what God is trying to tell me about the movie, because at this point I feel like it’s 100 different things, but I can tell you that it’s going to start a change in me.

It’s funny if you think about it: we sit back and wish that there was ‘something we could do’ to change the world. Be it fight poverty, help the homeless, hang out with the kids in school who has no friends, or go on a Mission Trip to Haiti. And then when we see someone else to one of these things…we tend to get jealous that we didn’t get to do it first.

But why didn’t we? Why didn’t we help fight poverty? And why didn’t go serve at a homeless shelter? And why didn’t you sit with the kid who was eating alone at lunch?

It’s the little things.

Jesus tells us in Matthew to be the Light of the world. I enjoy very much how the Message translates it: Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. (Matt 5:14-16)

The world isn’t going to change on its own.

Non-believers aren’t just going to wake up one morning and ‘see the light’…we need to show them what that Light looks like.

Start changing the world.

Please don’t use the “I’m too young” excuse, I’d like to remind you of this: ‘Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity’. 1 Timothy 4:12

Start today. Make it an effort to quit going along with what everyone else is doing. Do what GOD wants you to do!

Start serving! Don’t be afraid to be around people who don’t have the same view points as you do. I’d like to point out that Jesus hung out with tax collectors and hookers…not exactly the same view points. But Jesus changed the world by showing Gods love.

Which is all it takes.

Show the world Gods love, and change it.

Please go see To Save a Life. Please take the time to find something that will help change this world. Please contact me if you have any questions, or need a head start. Please ask God to help us all change the world to be how HE wants it.

Show the world Gods love.

No comments: