"Wait, Megan...we're going to pray before lunch, is there anything we can pray about for you?"
I was silent.
"Yes please. That would be wonderful"
All I could mumble out was school, my husband, and my family.
I was shocked. Tears swelled up in my eyes as I turned to walk away, with a huge smile on my face as I heard them start to pray.
Have you ever done anything like that?
I was unfortunately really busy so I didn't have the time to speak to them. I wondered what church they went to. Not that it mattered.
I wondered how long they had loved the Lord. I wondered how they got the courage to do that.
Because lets face it...asking a server in a restaurant if you can pray for them is a pretty big step of faith.
What if I hadn't been a Christ follower and answered "um I don't believe in God" or "no I'm ok". Could you imagine the feeling in their stomach?
I imagine this is something they do all the time.
And I imagine it has taken some courage, and a lot of faith in God.
Jesus answered, "Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, 'May you be lifted up and thrown to the sea' and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart. I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it can be yours.
Mark 11:22
That couple knows that God is putting them into certain peoples lives for a reason.
For me, it was just to brighten my day and make me realize that even in my place of work, the light of Christ shines. For someone else, it could be to save their life and introduce them to their Savior.
I've worked in a restaurant for a while now, and that's the first time I have ever had that happen to me. And I can't get it out of my head. I'm pretty sure it's because God is telling me something.
I have not stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly. Ephesians 1:16
Do you ever find yourself saying to people "I'm praying for you", but then never do? I do. I think it's become the response to anyone in a time of trouble, or when something great happens to them.
But what about when they're just having a normal day.
I don't have anything in my life right now that is going really terrible (praise Jesus), and I don't have anything to celebrate (other than life in general). So I just needed that couple to pray for me. Just pray.
What if we started asking more people on a daily basis what they need prayer for.
I think more people would believe in the power of prayer more.
So I ask you...what do you need prayer for right now?
We have got to start being the generation that stands up and does things differently. God doesn't want us to keep sitting back saying "oh today someone prayed for me". He wants us to be the ones that are asking that uncomfortable questions to strangers, because I have a feeling that after a couple of times (even if they might be rejections) it will get easier.
Let's call it on the spot prayer.
Instead of just telling people "I'll pray for you", do it right then and there. Don't wait till you get home, because then you'll forget. Make it a point to ask people in every day life what prayers they need...you never know how God can use you.
I hope you know, that I'm writing this to myself as well right now. I too often find myself telling a friend I'll pray for them, and then forget. I also hope you know, that there's a ball in my stomach right now because I know that this is going to take some courage on my part.
Don't you think God will surely give justice to His chosen people who cry out to Him day and night? Will He keep putting them off? I tell you, He will grant justice to them quickly! Luke 18: 7
There's a reason prayer is the most important part of a Christ followers life. It's able to change lives when you believe in the power behind it. Prayer isn't just something you do before you eat, or what you did with your mom before bed when you were a kid...it's a way of life. God gave us the ability to talk to Him when ever we need, to lift up concerns we have, and to be able to ask for help when ever we need it. He's there waiting.
The Lord is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayers of the righteous. Proverbs 15:29
A prayerful life is a fruitful life.
There are so many people in this world that are hurting and need our prayers. We have no idea who we could meet one day that could really use a prayer.
Would you join me in starting to pray for strangers? It's something we're called to do, but it's also a step of faith.
Starting with your servers is a small step, who knows what it could lead up to.
We're called to be Holy people.
Let's lead Holy lives.
Your sister in Christ,
Meg
7 comments:
<3 loveelyy
Wow Meg. This was an incredible reminder. The things that stood out to me: "There's a reason prayer is the most important part of a Christ followers life. It's able to change lives when you believe in the power behind it." and ""Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, 'May you be lifted up and thrown to the sea' and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart. I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it can be yours.
Mark 11:22".
We were out at lunch on Sunday with Mr.MBL's grandparents. They are such regulars at the place that the hostesses know them by name. When they came in Sunday one of the hostesses came up and told them to please pray because she was having kidney surgery this week and was scared. They stopped everything, and asked to pray for her on the spot, and she was so grateful. When people are genuinely Christ followers, people will be open to sharing their heart, and be open to receiving prayer in return. The beautiful part of it all is that it is the Kingdom of God in action.
Thanks again for posting.
Oh my gosh, that is awesome! I would be shocked. That's such a nice and unexpected thing to do in our society today! I too am constantly guilty of saying "I'll pray for you." and never doing it. Lately, I've realized how bad I am about that, and I'm trying to change (with His help, because you now I'll need it! ) It's not that hard to just say a simple, heartfelt prayer for a friend or even a stranger! I want people to be able to count on me and now that I will always follow through and not just claim I'll pray. I love it when someone passes along the gift of kindness right when you need it, like that. It's like the perfect pick-me-up from God!
Thanks for this oh-so-fabulous (as always) post, Meg!
What a great post. Prayer is something in my spiritual life that I definitely want to continue to grow in. Brandon and I started praying together nightly and I can already see how our marriage is growing by simply praying together. I could use some prayers. I am graduating from my master's program Saturday and am searching for a job. Just pray that the Lord will open a door for me to serve teenagers as a counselor. Thank you for a wonderful post!! It was a great inspiration today!
Oh my goodness. Thank you so much for this reminder.
I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all your kind words :)
hey Megan!! ur posts r always beautiful n so i have nominated u for the award plz do accept it by visiting on my recent post. hope u'll do that..
:)
Post a Comment