Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Testimony

"I am not insane, most excellent Festus," Paul replied. "What I am saying is true and reasonable. The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do."
Then Agrippa said to Paul, "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?"
Paul replied, "Short time or long-I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains".
Acts 26:25-29


I came across Acts 26 the other day, and to be honest, had never read it before. The conversations between Paul and King Agrippa amazed me, leaving me praying for confidence like Paul.

Here's a little background.
Paul was being held in jail in Caesarea, and was being transferred to Jerusalem. King Agripa (the guy Paul is talking to) shows up and wants to hear what Paul has to say, mostly because Festus (in charge of Paul) thinks that Paul hasn't really done anything to deserve death, and wants to know what King Agrippa thinks.

Long story short: Paul is in chains explaining himself.
Also, keep in mind that these people all know that Paul used to kill Christan's, and now his hands are chained in the name of Christ.

Acts 26 starts off with Paul, basically giving his testimony. He reminds them of his 'old ways' and tells them all that he is standing there today by 'Gods hope'.

Have you ever given your testimony with your hands chained together?

Yea, I didn't think so...me either.
But most of us have all at some point given our testimony. We all start off by telling people what we used to do, how we used to live before Jesus saved us. That's exactly what Paul is doing. He's standing before a bunch of non-believers trying to give them his testimony. He keeps reminding them that 'this is how he was before'. Much like we do when we give a testimony. Especially to non-believers...we want them to be able to relate to us; Paul wants them to relate to him.

He goes on to tell them that one day as on his way to Damascus, he heard a voice from Heaven; he "saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around him and his companions" (vs 13).
The voice replied: Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?

Talk about getting a direct word from the Lord.

The voice went on to say: I am Jesus, who you are persecuting. Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, from the power of Satan to the power of God.

Here's something to think about...can you imagine watching Paul explain all this to these Jewish leaders? He must have been jumping around like a crazy person explaining that he has heard the voice of Jesus, clear as day, telling him to go.
I'm sure he was a sight to see...which is why Festus interrupted him and said: You are out of your mind Paul! Your great learning is driving you insane!

Which brings us back to Paul's answer: I'm not insane, what I'm saying is true.

We all are like Paul. At some point in our lives we heard Jesus speak to us, so we stopped and followed. We may have hit some bumps in the road along the way, but we know that the path of righteousness is far better than that of the world.
Paul is one that I'll be rushing to when I get to heaven to sit down and chat with...do you think there's Starbucks in heaven?
I want to know how it felt to stand before these men, these men that held the fate of his life in their hands, and yet all he cared about was getting them to know how awesome our Savior is.

I want that kind of confidence.
I need that kind of confidence.

Have you ever realized how difficult it is to talk to non-believers about Christ? I usually feel like I'm stepping on their toes too much, or I keep wondering 'how much longer are they going to let me talk?'
Paul wasn't worried about stepping on their toes, in fact he might have been dancing on them with joy. He wasn't worried about time, in fact he let it all out, wearing his emotions on his sleeve.

Jesus calls us all by name. I doubt that most of us have heard His voice like Paul did, but it doesn't mean He isn't speaking to us. Paul had a willing heart when He heard from Christ.

How willing are our hearts?

Are we going when He says go? Are we following when He says come?

At the end of my life I want to stand before non-believers and dance on their toes for Jesus.
I just need to make sure I live a life worthy of that dance.

Be blessed!
Your sister in Christ,
Meg

1 comment:

vintch said...

perfect post. yes, it is so hard sometimes to profess my faith. but nothing is more rewarding. i love the line, preach the gospel to all who will listen, and if necessary, use words. sometimes it's just loving on people and showering kindness that helps share the love of our Savior. i needed this encouragement today!