Or maybe you're one of the 1.2 million people who downloaded her new song 'Born this Way' the first week it appeared on iTunes.
1.2 million people. She broke the record ten times over for fastest selling single on iTunes ever. And it's been at the #1 spot on the Billboards for 4 straight weeks now.
All because she wrote a song with the following lyrics:
Rejoice and love yourself today
'Cause baby you were born this way
No matter gay, straight, or bi,
Lesbian, transgendered life
I'm on the right track baby
I was born to survive
No matter black, white or beige
Chola or orient made
I'm on the right track baby
I was born to be brave
I'm sure some of you shake your head when you read those lyrics, or maybe they make you sad. I can't quite pin point where my thoughts are, but I'm not really jumping for joy, or quickly going to download the song.
John Chapter 4 gives the story of the Samaritan Woman at the well. I love the conversation that goes on.
Jesus: (to the woman) Will you give me a drink of water?
Woman: You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?
Jesus: If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked Him and He would have given you living water.
Woman: Sir, you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep, where can you get this living water?
Jesus: Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.
Woman: Sir, give me this water so I will thirst no more. Where can I get this water?
Jesus: Go call your husband and come back
Woman: I have no husband
Jesus: You're right, but you had five husbands before and now the man you have isn't even your husband.
Woman: Sir, I see that you are a prophet.
Jesus: Woman, believe me, a times is coming when you will worship the Father, along with true worshipers in the Spirit of truth forever, for those are the kinds of worshipers the Lord seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the spirit and in truth.
Woman: I know that the Messiahs is coming. When He comes, He will explain everything to us.
Jesus: I, the one speaking to you-I am He.
Could you imagine being that woman? There you were minding your own business when this guy shows up and reveals not only what you wont admit, but your past...and your heart. I get chills reading when Christ says 'I, the one speaking to you-I am He'. I'm sure her jaw dropped down and she had that whole bug eyed thing going on. She somehow gains some composer and runs off to tell the town that she has just met the Christ!
I feel like if I ever got to talk to Christ, that's a little bit how my conversation would go.
I'd try really hard to hid all the things in my life (past or present) that I'm not to happy about. I'd most likely call Him Sir because that's how I was raised. And if someone told me that there was 'happy' water somewhere to be found, I'd be on the hunt for that.
I have to laugh at that point in the bible, where the woman asks where she can get the water...like it's the setting of Tuck Everlasting. I can hear the excitement in her voice when I read it, and can only imagine her acting like a child about to get candy.
I love this conversation because Jesus gets right to the point quickly.
And don't loose my point here: Christ knew her heart before she even opened her mouth. He knew that she was going through some rough things, and showed her love anyways. He knew she'd be completely taken back by Him speaking to her, but He did it anyways because He wanted to show her love.
Lady GaGa's song soared because there are millions of people who wanted to hear a song that let them feel ok with the way they are. They wanted to hear a song, that spoke to their hearts about who they are. The song soared because it's what people needed to hear to make them feel better.
Am I huge fan of Lady GaGa, not really. But she's reaching a lot of people through her music.
Wouldn't it be amazing to read that 1.2 million people were saved over a coarse of 7 days.
Her song is topping the charts because it spoke to peoples hearts.
Jesus went to that well that day to speak to that woman's heart...and He is daily waiting to speak to ours, but we have to let Him.
You can't expect for Christ to live and dwell in your Hearts if your not making the decision to let Him.
I want 1.2 million people to know that Jesus Christ can make them feel 100,000 times better than Lady GaGa can.
As crazy as those lyrics are, we need to be thinking about the millions listening to song who don't have Christ in their hearts. Instead of being completely appalled by the lyrics, pray about them.
Is the bible really clear about those kinds of things...absolutely. But instead of shunning someone away from the church, or bashing them because they aren't 'like you', love them. Be there for them like you would a fellow Believer. Embrace them for who they are.
We live in a crazy messed up world, where too many people a)don't know about Jesus or b)choose not to believe in Him, or c)think they are living with Christ but are constanly in sin. So this week, be the light. Share God's love with someone you haven't before. Tell them about the Living water that will quench their thirst.
Tell them about the love of a Savior who knows their heart already and wants to mend the brokenness.
Share His love,
Your sister in Christ,
Meg
Meg
1 comment:
Really Interesting post! And so true too. IO love how we can make conections to life today and the Bible.It reminds me of a post I wrote on how worshiping Gos is like Guitar Hero!
Awesome Blog, by the way!
Post a Comment