Sunday, April 10, 2011

Stop and smell the roses

We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
Psalm 39:6

As humans, we're really good at being busy. We're extremely good at filling up our lives with things that take from us and never give back. We're do an extraordinarily good job of running from point A to point B without even noticing everything in between.

I'm currently reading 'One Thousand Gifts' by Ann Voskamp. It's beyond amazing, and I'm only on chapter 3.
I just finished reading the section where she talks about us having too busy of lives. She says that "that busyness of your life leaves little room for the source of your life" (Voskamp 64).

I smile because I thanked God that I finally 'have time'...or should I say, I'm finally at a point in my life where I know how important it is to make time. But I then spent time in prayer for those surrounding me who haven't found that time.

Life is busy. There's no doubting that. But what are you spending your time doing? I love the Psalm above: all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
Think about the days that you hit the bed just exhausted, your mind literally couldn't create another thought...how much of that day was spent with God? And how often do those days occur?

Always being on the go, is exhausting.

"Whatever the pace, time will keep it and there's no outrunning it, only speeding it up and pounding the feet harder; the minutes pound faster too. Race for more and you'll snag on time, and leak empty...hurry always empties the soul" (Voskamp 67).

How hurried are you?
How full is your schedule?

There was a time in my life, actually right before I got married, where I was running. I'd go from one job to the next, make it just in time for class, hurry home only to do more school work, pick out a decoration for the wedding, and then hit the pillow having no idea where the time went.

I was so busy making sure I did this and that, that I didn't even realize I had stopped thanking God for all the wonderful things going on in my life.
God knows our schedules. He knows how 'busy' we are. But He's still waiting for us to spend time with Him.

Our prayers shouldn't be that we just need more time, they need to be pleas on how to spend the time we already have. How to spend this time that God has given us.

Take some time to evaluate your week. The day to day activities you have.
And now, answer this question: what's most important to you?

Does your schedule reflect whats most important?

Maybe you don't even realize just how busy you've become...stop and slow down. God doesn't want us to come to Him tired and at the end of the day because we've forgotten to say 'thank you' all day, because we were too busy.

He wants us all the time.
Not just when we have time for Him.

Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".
Matthew 11:28

Weary means tired, burned out, sleepy, spent, worn out, exhausted...all both physically and mentally.
Even now as you read this, are you really reading, or are you already making your list of to-dos when you get done?

Have you used any of those words lately to describe your life?

Beloved, God is waiting so patently right now for you. He knows that things have just been 'crazy busy' for you lately but He also knows that you need Him.
It's ok to admit that there has been too much stuff in your life taking away the time God has given you.

His Holy presence is waiting for us all. We just need to focus our time more on Him.

Stop and look around. This earth that He created for us is a beautiful place, enjoy it while you're here.
I'm praying that you'll take some time now to find a quiet place to just sit in Gods presence. Be thankful for all the time He has given you. And make more time for Him. He deserves it.

Your sister in Christ,
Meg

3 comments:

Sadie said...

Great post. This is just what I needed tonight. I can say that I know this, but it's something else to realize it and take part on it.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful Megan. I was just commenting on someone else's blog how God is weaving a thread of trying to make his priorities my priorities. It is so hard some days to be still and know that he is God. Everything meaningful seems to come out from being centered around that.

Thanks for this post. Hope you have a beautiful week.

Russanna said...

I just finished the book and loved it! All morning, the sentence from Ann's book, "Time is not money. Time is ilfe," has been in my head. I REALLY get caught up in little things like trying to make sure dishes are done and the house is clean, etc. I'm trying to take more time to spend with people and especially more time in the Word!