Monday, June 27, 2011

Get Real

I was having a conversation the other day with a beautiful young Christian friend. We talked a lot about God and what He had been doing in our lives.

I should back up right now and mention that this friend and I used to get into some trouble together. We equally made some bad decisions in high school...and the worst part is that she's a couple years younger than I am, and at times I failed her as a Christian friend. I often found myself laughing at her stories about parties and what not, instead of going to God in prayer with her.

All that's changed now.

She's off at a wonderful Christian college in California, and shines His light where ever she goes.
She's one of my closest friends, and now, a real accountability partner.

So the other day we started talking about those terrible double lives we used to live.

And then we started on the topic of facebook, and social media in general and how it doesn't matter what you do outside of those, in them, you can be who ever you want.

With a short click of a button, you can choose who you want to see this or see that, and who you don't want to see this or see that.

But is that how a Christ follower should be?

Here's an example: your photos on facebook. Maybe you choose to 'monitor' which pictures you're tagged in. That's cool, cause hey who wants to look like a goof all the time? :)
But maybe, you've decided to do away with any pictures tagged of yourself and the only ones that show up are the ones you put up.
That's cool too cause maybe you really really want to monitor what pictures go up.
And maybe you have a certain 'group' of people who can't see some of your pictures...maybe that group falls under 'Church people'.
That's cool too because...actually it's not.

I'm not perfect, and yes I do things that I shouldn't sometimes. I mess up, I stub my toe and yell out a bad word. I get mad at people, and I can say something rude. But what you see is the truth, no double life for me.
I did that for way to long and it didn't get me anywhere.

You have searched me Lord, you know mw. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.
Psalm 139:1-4

It might be easy to hide those pictures of the party from your 'Church group' but just because God doesn't have a facebook account doesn't mean He can't see them.
In fact, He was watching you as you were doing it.

God knows what we're doing, when we're doing it and why. He knows our hearts better than we do. He knows every action before we do it, and every word before we speak it.
And we all know this truth...so why do we always forget it?

Again, let me reiterate: I'm not perfect.

But we do have to hold each other accountable for things.

Especially when we see leaders in the church acting this way.

In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned. Titus 2:7

How about instead of worrying who can see what pictures from that night...you just don't do it.

It takes a lot of effort to hide a part of your life from those that you don't want to see it. I know because I did it for too long in high school...but I learned from those mistakes.

It makes me so sad that leaders in churches just want to look perfect all the time. Go on this missions trip, and makes sure to be at this event, and write this super inspiring blog...but then have 'hidden' pictures on facebook.

Maybe I'm missing something.
But doesn't that seem odd?

Maybe it's because I'm jealous (an evil feeling straight from Satan) because I see all these wonderful things these people are getting to do in Christs' name...but then I see the weekend pictures, that are hidden.

It doesn't make any sense.

Why take so much for granted?

I'm praying for strength to all that read this. Maybe you're the one with the hidden pictures on facebook.
Pray that God will give you the strength to get rid of them, and that life style.
Or maybe you're like me, seeing all this happening but afraid to say anything.
I know things will be better if we did say something, but it's so tough. Pray that God will give us the strength

God sees it all, so why do we try to hid it?

Let's get real with our Savior because He, of all people, deserves it. Then work on the rest.

Have a blessed week!

1 comment:

elle.crews said...

I am so glad I found your blog! It's already challenged and inspired me! It's so good to see God's light on the internet! Keep spreading it!

lauren-noelle.blogspot.com