The other day I was wondering around the great world of Facebook when I came across a picture from a good friend.
He had posted a picture of a guy on a street corner and the caption was 'Bull Horn guy...what a lame-o'.
I started to think about these 'bull horn' people, and what they're really doing.
Are they really doing anything to benefit Christianity? If they are, is this an effective way to go about doing it?
Lots of times these bull horn guys can be found in city's, on busy streets, where many people will hear them. Sometimes they go to concert and sports events...the point is for a lot of people to hear what they have to say.
I left my friend a comment saying that although I didn't really agree with bull horn guys game plan, I agreed with his intention. My friend commented back with a bit of confusion...he wondered how I thought this was helping Christianity. Thanks to that friend I came up with this blog :) Thanks friend.
A year ago I was at an art festival...at the end of the street there was a man with a bull horn, and on the ground around him were what looked like bodies in blankets. He was yelling that we need to 'repent of our sins' because if we don't we're going to go to hell. He was yelling about the 'judgement that God holds'.
At the time I walked past this guy and (like most) thought 'what the heck does he think he's doing?! He's bringing a really bad name to Christians'.
Fast forward to the other day when I see my friends picture...my first thought is: well at least he's out there saying something about God.
I want to make one thing clear: it's not what he's doing that I disagree with, it's HOW he's doing it.
To most Christians bull horn guys just make us upset, and we walk past hoping that people don't see us like that. We walk past and think what an embarrassment this guy is to Christianity.
But again, I bring this up: at least he's out there.
I think bull horn guys intentions are good, if you get past the yelling you realize that he really just wants people to know God, and that if they don't find Him then we won't all be in Heaven together...we'll end up in Hell.
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me." John 14:6
So what does that mean? It's simple: if you don't believe in Jesus you're going to Hell.
Intense right?
Not really.
Bull horn guy uses the words most people cringe at: hell, sin, repent, salvation, judgement.
But why do we cringe? Even us Christians? Jesus used those words, He told us that He is the ONLY way.
John in the beginning of Mark says this, "The time promised by God has come at last!" he announced. "The Kingdom of God is near! Repent of your sins and believe in the Good News!" (Mark 1:15)
Acts 3:19 says :"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord".
Jesus came to this earth to SAVE us from our sins...He will be coming back soon to JUDGE those who do not follow Him. There are those words again, sin and judge. But their words that Jesus (the One we follow) used.
I hope you're getting my point.
Bull horn guy may not seem like he's doing anything beneficial, but he is. We have no idea who might walk past him on the street corner and hear the name GOD being yelled. That person might walk right to a church to seek help. I doubt many people stop right there to talk to bull horn guy, but he might get them thinking.
And again I repeat: at least he's out there.
We need to start a new 'bull horn' guy. This generation of Christ followers that are starting to do things differently need to get up and start talking on street corners about the amazing Father we have. We need to start telling people that yes, if you don't follow Jesus you will be in Hell, but to follow Him is the most AMAZING thing they could do. It's the most wonderful feeling in the world, to truly be loved.
We need people to know that sin is not okay, but that if they REPENT (meaning they STOP what sin they are committing) then the God who created the Universe will give them a life in eternity with Him. People need to know that we Christians are not haters, we're lovers...even if it has to be tough love every once in a while.
Please watch these two videos. The first is a video by Rob Bell. The second is a video by Todd Friel..I hope you'll start to have a more open mind about bull horn guys after you watch them.
Video 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-825273137571541112#
Video 2: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8560032043053002550#
Your sister in Christ,
Meg
3 comments:
I'm sure you have many friends that are not Christians. By this I mean: What about people that are being "good"? People that have done no "wrong" (I mean of course everyone sins) but they have done nothing in their life to warrant them going to hell. Can you say they deserve going to hell because they don't believe in something they, personally, have no proof of? What about the people that have never, and will never be introduced to Jesus? What about the people that believe in God but don't believe in Jesus but do believe, full heartedly in God? Are they going to hell?
I think your blogs are awesome. Just wondering if you can answer those questions. Most Christians can't.
Those are some of the hardest questions people can ask about Faith.
As complicated as they might seem the answer is really simple: if Jesus isn't in their heart then they wont go to Heaven.
John 14:6 ‘Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”.’
It's really tough to think about, but it's true. If you follow Christ, and believe that the Bible is the truth, then there is your answer.
Having Jesus in your heart means you don't need proof, we live by faith, and not by sight. Seeing isn't believing so I think anyone waiting on proof of Jesus to believe has got it all wrong.
If people hear about Jesus and make the decision to not follow Him, they wont be in Heaven. People who never hear about Jesus, that’s a different story. I think that’s my/our fault. As Christ followers we're told to 'go out and make disciples of the nations', people who have never heard the good news have us to blame for not getting to them. I think they'll be in Heaven, how can you make a decision about something you've never heard of? That one is a little tricky, but again, it's Christians fault not theirs.
This is the toughest subject in my life. Having many friends who don't follow Jesus makes me think about this daily...but again, the bible is so clear on the subject.
To me, they'll all come to Jesus at some point in their life, even if it's on their death bed. Christians just need to never stop telling them the good news.
This was kinda long but I hope it helped :)
Post a Comment