Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Speak!


Why is it that most churches focus so much on young people? Not that children and elders aren’t important but have you ever thought about why there is such an uprising of churches that have fixed so much attention on making their church ‘Youth/Young Adult’ oriented.

The answer is simple: because those of us between the ages of 16 and 25 need the most help.
We’re the ones who have to make it through high school a believer and then venture out into this huge world (alone usually) to college…and we’re expected to keep our faith, and defend the gospel.

But do we?

If you’re in high school I pray that this devo will be some what of a warning for you. If you’re in college I pray that this devo will come as help, or the pick me up you’ve needed. And if you’re out of the great world of learning, (and more importantly a leader in a church) I pray that this devo will help you understand how very important it is to create disciples while you can.

I just started my first semester as a Knight at the University of Central Florida. I’m a Journalism major with a double minor in Religion and Political Science.
As a Christ follower at a secular college I understand (and fully know) that not all (in fact none) of my professors will agree with not only my religious views but my conservative political views as well.

It was only the second day of my History of the Holocaust class and I already started to feel a bit out of place.
We had begun the discussion on Anti-Semitism (the prejudice against the Jews) which most know started way before Hitler came along. My professor decided that he would start the discussion on the hatred for Jews with a bible verse.
Yep you read that right…a piece of Scripture.
I apologize now for not remembering the exact Scripture but it was out of 2 Thessalonians.

So there I was, a Christ follower listening to my professor go on and on about how Anti-Semitism began with this guy named Jesus. He went on to talk about that the New Testament is filled with scripture like this; he talked about how horrible the Crusades were (which they were) and that it was the terrible Christians that were putting the Jews through such turmoil. He talked about men like Martin Luther and how corrupted they were.
(at this time I’d like to insert a authors note: I DO NOT TALK IN CLASS!)
Without hesitation my hand went flying into the air, not even giving me a second to think about what I was about to blurt out; which happens often but this time I was worried.

Here was the convo:
Me: I’m a Christ follower, I read my bible often and I really think that you have taken this piece of scripture out of context. I have no hatred in my heart for anyone, especially those of Jewish faith. My bible tells me that they’re ‘Gods chosen people’.
Dr Ken: Well that’s what it says
Me: Well it also says in Leviticus to eat your kids…
Him: I have taken nothing out of context, this is what Paul wrote…which I’d like to point out was a Jew…just like Jesus, isn’t that odd! (with this super annoying laugh to the class)

He moved quickly past that slide and kept going. Repeatedly he’d let the words ‘hatred for the Jews’ and ‘Christians’ come out of his mouth in the same sentence.

So again, before I knew it my hand was in the air.
Me: I don’t mean to disagree so much with you, but correct me if I’m wrong: the Jewish people don’t believe that Jesus was the Messiah, they only believe that He was just another prophet…
(Dr Ken didn’t have any words but gave me the ‘I’m about to prove you wrong’ look on his face)
Ok, so they didn’t believe that He was their Savior, but He was mine. And since He wasn’t your Savior your people decided to crucify Him, put nails through His hands, and kill Him. Not that I’m defending the Crusades or any wrong doing against the Jews, but what if the roles were reversed? What if your Savior was nailed to a cross for all to see because He didn’t go along with your law?
(Dr Ken didn’t say anything)
I’d also like to point out that you haven’t once mentioned how the Jewish leaders in those times were stoning and killing people for not following their law…do you know how all (but one) disciple died? They all were killed, by Jews!

Dr Ken didn’t answer my questions, he just got red in the face and moved on.
I’m sure his face was just as red as mine…full of frustration.

Romans 1:16-For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God.

I didn’t hesitate for a second to defend my Savior. I know that it has taken me a long time to get to this point of confidence in Christ, and I hope that my story will help you have more confidence!

We’ve all heard 100 times (I’ve even mentioned it often in my blogs) that being a Christian in 2010 is tough. But the more I think about it…really how tough is it? Paul wrote in Philippians that “whether I am in chains” (vs. 1:7) he would still defend the gospel. None of us are in chains, so why do we continue to keep our mouths shut?

2 Timothy 3:16-All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Having confidence in the Lord is a pretty awesome thing. Giants (or professors) will no longer stand in your way, with Christ on your side no one stands against you! The power of Christ can be your confidence!

But confidence takes work…so start now! Build up your confidence in the Lord. Study the Scripture so you can be ready on a daily basis to fight those trying to promote evil. Memorize more than just John 3:16 to use with non-believers. High school kids do more than just church and youth group once a week…take time for just you and the Lord! College kids do the same! Time seems to not exist during the semester but it’s just the devil trying to bring you down…and if you ever do have that heart pumping feeling in class (when you don’t agree with what’s going on) speak up! And leaders instill in your Youth Godly advice, and Godly direction. Point them towards goals set higher than this earth.

It’s so important to know that as a Christ follower, sometimes just doing good things isn’t enough and we need to speak. Yes there’s the saying ‘actions speak louder than words’ but what about in my situation? Was I supposed to just walk out, drop the class…be defeated? Or was it best that I stood up for what I believed in, and let the class know that this man was preaching falseness.

Henry David Thoreau said this: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you’ve imagined”.
I’d like to make it my own quote: Go confidently with the Lord Jesus Christ by your side, live the life He created for you!

Listen to this AMAZING song by Jimmy Needham.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QunnY2A7JWM&feature=related

Have a wonderful week!

Your sister in Christ,
Meg

No comments: