Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Take up your cross daily



This past weekend Sonny and I traveled to the beautiful state of North Carolina. I was over whelmed by my surroundings...they actually have fall there! The trees change colors and are the most amazing sight ever. (For those of you reading this in the North, you have to remember that us Floridians have about 7 days of fall, the trees very faintly change and if you're not paying attention to them, you'll miss it)

There were times when we were driving that I just had to sit there and try to mentally take a picture of all Gods amazing creations that I don't get to enjoy here in the Sunshine State.

The day we left we were driving down the street and on the side of the road was 'The Cross Guy'. There he was, just out walking down the road with a 6 foot wooden cross hanging off his back.
I was at a loss for words.
Madison (Sonnys cousin) told me that she had spoken to him one time and found out that he once 'lost it all' and is now homeless, but walks around every day with this cross on his back preaching the gospel.

"Then He said to them all: Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me" Luke 9:23

My mind was blown as I sat there thinking about the this man...and my own faith.

How many of us would walk around carrying a 6 foot wooden cross on our backs daily?
How many of us, if we lost everything, would carry around a 6 foot wooden cross daily preaching about Christ?

"The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I want to be bold like this man. Even as I write this, thinking about my next thought scares me: I want to be bold like this man so that if God decides tomorrow to take everything I have away from me I would still bring Glory to His name.
I want the kind of faith 'The Cross Guy' has. I want to be be bold in my faith.
It's really simple for all of us to say: yep, if God took it all I'd be fine. But do we really truly feel that in our heart?

If you're like me, you're sitting there reading realizing that if you had nothing, you'd freak out.

And if you're more like me, in two seconds you'd realize that it would be ok.
Jesus, our Savior would protect us. Not just the way the world views us but our Souls. He'd make sure that if we could with stand having nothing, then we had truly lived with Him in our heart. Because that's what He did for us...He took the cross and carried it all the way to His death.

Everyday we have the option to take up our crosses and follow Him. God has given us the ability to have it all, and still have Him.
Take up your cross with me so we can do this together. We have it all, so lets pretend everyday there's a 6 foot wooden cross waiting at our door to take with us where ever we go.

Take sometime and look at the picture...and pray for 'The Cross Guy'. Pray to be bold like he is.

Your sister in Christ,
Meg


No comments: