And his simple response to me was: well it must be important then.
I have tried to circle or put an arrow next to every verse in Deuteronomy that goes along the lines of: love the Lord your God and fear the Lord.
Two of the most simple commands, and yet we are warned over and over my Moses that if we don't do these two things, we won't get the rest of it. Why is that?
Have you ever tried to do something half way? Maybe you had to paint a wall and you hate painting and when you're done you realize that you could have put a lot more into it. Maybe (if you're like me) school was never something you put a lot of time into, so you never really got a lot out of it.
What if we thought that way about God?
What if each day we put into God what we wanted back?
Now there's a crazy thought.
We, mostly as Americans, expect a lot. We've been given just about everything we've ever wanted, and for most our lives haven't really been told no. We hardly ever give back what we can, but yet at the end of the day we still have the audacity to complain.
The Lord did not set His affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest peoples. But it was because the Lord loved you.
Deuteronomy 7:7
Our relationship with God should never been looked at like a job. Especially one that you think you 'have to' spend time at. Our relationship with God is a gift. Something we don't deserve yet we have it anyways.
I wouldn't say I'm at the point where I just expect God to give me things...I pray I never get that way, but I do loose sight often of what my responsibilities are to God.
To love Him with my whole heart.
To keep all His commands.
And to fear Him.
He holds my life in His hands.
It's not that I expect my life to be perfect because I believe in God...because it's not. But I expect that when I pray He answers. I expect that when I cry out His name, He hears me. And it's a wonderful feeling knowing that He does those things.
I need to be more thankful. God won't ever turn His back on you. But have you ever done something really great for someone and they don't even say thank you. Think about how God feels.
The Lord commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the Lord our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive. Deuteronomy 6:24

6 comments:
Beautiful post Megan! I love it :) I think I have some something like that before. In My selfish heart I may have said it like "ummm... Why is this repeated so much, I am not stupid" Okay maybe I am. Lets pretend I didn't say that. But I think it is easy to skim over certain parts and God wants us to get it in our heads.
I saw your tweet on the conversation last night... I loved it. So when I saw the link just now, I was thrilled to come and read.
Great insights. :)
Thank you...
Meredith
http://realfaithjourney.blogspot.com
mduke722 (twitter)
I think God wants us to 'Get Him in our hearts and head! He has given us a mind to use and we are to love him unconditionally. He is always with us and will always look after us :) Thank you for an inspiring post!
Amen! I've never thought about this, and I LOVE this point. Thank you!
Hope you're having a wonderful week,
Melanie
I really like the picture and thought written there.
Have a great Tuesday!!
What a great post and I love that picture. Thank you for sharing.. we all need these reminders!
Post a Comment